Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Do You Want To Torture Yourself? (Knitted Lace Designs Of The "Modern" Mode Book 1 and Knitting Lace)






Years ago I bought a copy of "Knitting Lace" from Lacis in Berkeley which is in Japanese. It had pictures and great charts and I guess if I had really sat down I could have figured out and translated a "legend" so I could knit from those charts. I never did it but I loved the pretty book so much I kept it and just drooled from time to time. I have a few books on what is apparently referred to as "modern lace knitting" and have never knit from them. I like to keep reference books because there are times where everything comes together and I suddenly start to actually knit from them. That's what happened when I bought Sharon Millers "Heirloom Knitting" book. I had it for well over a year before the light bulb went "on". Well, now Lacis has published an additional book and they have translated the "legend" for the stitches. I could actually now knit these patterns if I'm crazy enough to want to do it. I have to say that these are very very tempting but I'd have to start small. I will look at them, drool more and try to finish things before I start more. I have three things that have potential to actually be done. the "Dragone" shawl must be next in line for my niece, I am waiting for my copy of Sharon Millers "Spring Shawl" to come in the mail but I won't start that until the Wedding Ring Shawl is done, so maybe a little something from one of these books? Hmmmm. I have to go knit now.

16 comments:

Laritza said...

Oh you! temptations!
I have the Japanese book too. In there is a similar pattern to the Niebling Federole. It is the picture with the hat to be more exact. The good thing about these patterns is that they are plain knitting every other row. If you have knit Sharon Miller's patterns, the ones from the Japanese books or Nieblings for that matter are a "piece of cake". I have to finish the things I have before I cast on any thing else. I ordered the new book through my LYS just to support them. I can't wait!

missalicefaye said...

oooh--I've been eyeing that book for a few weeks now. I'd love to see you knit some of these beauties. More lace! More! :)

Lillysmuul said...

OMG! my eyeballs almost dropped out;)
Of couse you have to make something from there, can't wait to see ....
Have to go to order some lace books...;)

fleegle said...

I have the original book too, but I the new one is waiting for me at home. Goodie! Like I don't have enough on my waiting list...

Hey, I sent you a package last week. Let me know when you get it, okay?

fleegle said...

Hey, did you notice that it says "Book 1"? Where is Book 2?

Opal said...

What gorgeous patterns! If you don't end up knitting these, they're great for inspiration.

GRACE said...

Book 2 is at Laci's. I just saw it yesterday. Gorgeous!

Lacefreak said...

Dear lartiza,

That is very encouraging! If the other rows are knit plain then I just might be able to make some of these. I'm going to sit down this weekend and really read the darned stuff. For me, Lacis is one of my Local stores :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear missalicefaye,

Only if I finish something first LOL. I was hoping someone else would knit something from it so I could live vicariously!

Lacefreak said...

Dear lillysmuul,

I hope I will actually knit something but you never know with me. Some books and patterns hang out for a long time before I get hit with the bug! Still, they are really pretty.

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

I'm glad you ordered the new book too. The new Legend works for both books and when I was at Lacis, I think that they said the books were written by a mother and a daughter? I will be on the look-out for a package! As for the idea of Book 2, they did re-print the cover of the older book you and I already have and I think they are counting this as the second book? Since it's the same book we already had I did not need to get it. Count-down to return to the States for you!

Lacefreak said...

Dear Opal,

I really love pattern books. I've got a short vacation in Aug. in Lake Tahoe. I'm bringing some of the books with the "modern" lace knitting and give them a trial swatch to see if I enjoy kniting them.

Lacefreak said...

Dear Grace,

I was there too and I think book two is the re-print of the older book I already have in Japanese. The difference is that the translated "legend" is included in both. Since it works for both, I now stand a better chance of knitting something from that old book of mine :-)

Trine Als said...

I have been looking all over to find the "Dragone" shawl, but without any luck. Migth I be so lucky that you know where to bye it? Preferable as a download as I am from denmark.
So beatiful lace you knit. I'm only a novice compared to you, but I loved to knit from graphs before I got my DD this year. Now I almost only knit for her.
But I will start knitting lace again one day, when I can't resist it any more.
Happy lacing.

Lacefreak said...

Dear trine als,

To buy the pattern, you have to e-mail the designer, Sharon Winsauer. I have the details on how to do this in my blog. If you go and look in the side-bar on the left hand side, go down to the "tags" section to "Heere be dragone" and click on it, you will go to that blog posting.

Hope that helps you out.

Lacefreak said...

Dear trine als,

If still confused, it is posted in a Sept. 16, 2006 posting! you can click on Sept 2006 postings and find it, also in the left hand side of this blog!