Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Roswitha Blocking (AKA Surprise)









I just wanted to knit something as a surprise to anyone who looks at this blog. I know it takes a long time for me to finish things and you wait and wait and wait for something good to look at. This time I wanted it to be a treat for me and for you. I also wanted it to be something that has not been knit by tons of other knitters though I am by no means the only one to knit this.
Pattern by Herbert Niebling "Roswitha" is 314 rows long. Knit on US O needles using "Holding" baby alpaca lace weight yarn, colorway "Vermillon" from A Verb For Keeping Warm. The shawl took about 3,500 yards of this yarn.
You can't tell from these pictures, but there are 4 different colors of yarn in this shawl. This is because I picked up a skein here, a skein there, and I kept thinking I had enough when I really didn't. Since this is hand dyed yarn using natural dye, you really have some variations unless you picked up all your skeins from the same dye bath which I didn't. Some people might not like that effect, but I really enjoy the fact that chance played a part in how this turned out. It starts out darker in the center, gets lighter and brighter towards the edges until you end up with a pale border. I really like it :-)
This is a pretty big shawl at about 64 inches across. If I want to knit any of the larger patterns by Niebling I'm going to have to go to gossamer weight yarn in the future. Until then, I am very happy with how this came out. I will post again once it is well and truly dry.

26 comments:

Amanda said...

Your shawl is exquisite and it gives me great pleasure just looking at it!

Lacefreak said...

Dear Amanda,

I'm glad you like how it came out. This pattern is one of the patterns that is supposed to be re-issued later this year so I hope others will have the opportunity to knit it as well :-)

fleegle said...

That is just unbelieveably stunning, Jane. It was well worth the wait! I always wanted to knit this pattern, but now I can just enjoy your magnificent work. Going back to look at it some more. Congrats on finishing it!

LittleBerry said...

WOW - well you certainly delivered a surprise there it's quite simply beautiful and well worth waiting for...

missalicefaye said...

It's so beautiful! Fabulous work!

PenCraft said...

Gorgeous. I love the color change from the center to the edge. It is lovely!

Die Fadenwirkerin said...

Hello Jane!q
What a wonderful piece of work! It is so adorable! I don't know what to say. I'm really speechless.

Greetings Jule

Anonymous said...

That's spectacular! What an accomplishment!

I_dont_blog said...

Yummy yummy lace pr0n.
Thank you. This will keep me for a while.......

Ann in Montreal said...

I am speechless, breathless and totally over awed by this beautiful shawl. A very pleasant surprise as I was not expecting anything new.

GinkgoKnits said...

It's wonderful. If I lived in the east bay, I'd use a lot more AVFKW as Kristine dyes such lovely yarn. I think the color variation worked out beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane:

As a fortunate one who saw the progression and the dyed yarn, I can say WOW, and I agree with you about the subtleties of color. It makes it a truly unique shawl. Hope to see you wearing your masterpiece soon!

Grace in Berkeley

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking!

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle/Susan,

I'm really happy you like how this one came out :-) It would have been hard for me to resist knitting this one since it has so many interesting flowers to knit. Great project shawl.

Lacefreak said...

Dear LittleBerry,

Thanks! Glad it was worth waiting for :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear missalicefaye,

Thank you. That means a lot since I consistantly admire all of your work :-)

Lacefreak said...

PenCraft,

I'm really pleased you like the colors of the shawl. I wasn't sure how that was going to turn out as I was knitting it but it really is pretty now it is blocked.

Lacefreak said...

Dear Jule,

Thank you! Your response is why I kept this a "Surprise" for so long. The pattern really is spectacular and the hand dyed yarns gave it surprising depth. A really satisfying project all around :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear domesticshorthair,


Thank you :-) As impressive as this was, there is a lot of really beautiful lace out there to knit. I'm interviewing my pattern stash as I finish up my UFO's so I hope to have more lace to show in the future :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear I Dont Blog,

Thanks! Gotta keep that lace addiction fed :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear Ann in Montreal,

Glad you liked it! As the saying goes "Everything old is new again" and lots of people will be knitting this one since it will be re-published this year :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear GinkoKnits,

I know what you mean. It makes a big difference being able to go look at the yarn when you plan a project. I live in the Bay Area so I can get out to their shop when I want to. I think that is one of the reasons I use so much Verb yarn.

Lacefreak said...

Dear Grace,

Thanks! I don't wear a lot of shawls so this one will hang-out at the Verb store so people can look at it who are interested in lace. I'm going to wear my Miralda Shawl to Stitches West. It's much more manageable because it's smaller :-)

Lacefreak said...

Dear Anon,

I agree :-) That pattern is outstanding!

GinkgoKnits said...

Jane,
The first time I ever stopped by AVFKW there was your Crown Prince Shawl on display. I think Cleo was the only distraction strong enough to get me to put it down. If I get a chance to go over there soon, I'll definitely look for this as it must be stunning in person.

Lacefreak said...

Dear GinkgoKnits,

Thanks! I hope you get to see it in person. It really is nicer than the pictures :-)